What to do after a Car Accident?

As a driver involved in a motor vehicle accident, you have legal obligations that are covered by the Road Rules 2008 NSW.

Exchange Information

The driver of a vehicle involved in a crash must give particulars to other drivers involved in the crash, anyone else that was injured in the crash and the owner of any property that was damaged in the crash.

You are required to provide the abovementioned people with your name, address and vehicle registration number. If you are not the owner of the vehicle, you will need to provide the details of the vehicles owner.

Do I need to report this to the police?

This depends on the motor vehicle accident. Not all accidents need to be reported to the police. Details need to be given to the police if a police officer asks for them, if a vehicle is being towed away, somebody is killed or injured in the accident, or if someone refuses to give their details to other parties involved in the accident.

If these circumstances apply to you, you will need to report this to the police within 24 hours.

Other practical steps that you may take.

These steps are not required by law, but may assist you if there are future disputes with insurance companies and other parties.

a)      Take down the details of any witnesses.

b)      Makes notes of all conversations you had with other parties involved.

c)       Take photographs of the vehicles and the scene

d)      Do not admit liability. An admission of liability may invalidate any insurance claims that may be open to you.

e)      Find out if the other drivers are insured. Take down details of their insurance company.

f)       Take down the driver’s license details of other parties.

Make sure you take all precautions necessary to prevent any further accidents or collisions occurring.

Posted in
Scroll to Top